OK so I'm going to start breaking the rules here. Something has been on my mind since I started this whole facebook and blogging thing a week ago, which was probably why it took me so long to start doing it in the first place. One of the first questions asked on facebook.com is your political views. I actually wrestled with what to write there for about 10 minutes. I had (in no particular order) Republican, Libertarian leaning Republican, Conservative, Classic Liberal - deleted and re-written several times before just settling on Libertarian. Now understand that I am a lifelong Republican, but not in the way most people think of Republicans. I am definitely not a lock-step stereotypical right wing evangelical who tries to paint all Democrats as the anti-christ. I hesitated writing anything because I knew somebody would start reading about Libertarian philosophy on Wikipedia and I worried they would attribute all of these views to me out of context. I find that I am sometimes too hesitant to let people know what I really think because it seems so easy to misconstrue the true meaning of words on a computer screen. It is all too tempting to paint political viewpoints with broad stereotypes and I don't like making enemies.My sister knows better than anyone how I do not like to get into arguments. Much like my buddy Adam, I am a "lover not a fighter" when it comes to these political discussions.


People who know me know I am politically conservative. I would say over half of my close friends are politically liberal (that's what happens when you're a musician) and I have really enjoyed the dialogue about politics with my friends lately. Over the past year or so through trying to better understand my friends' views, I have spent a lot of time reading blogs and books about all things "emergent" and liberal. From Anne Lamott to Donald Miller to Rob Bell to Dan Kimball, I have been truly challenged and fascinated by their perspectives. I was surprised at how much I agree with many of the themes of these authors, but dismayed because there seems to be a misconception that these ideas are incongruent with having a politically conservative viewpoint. There seems to be an underlying current of disdain for conservatives and much of it is probably deserved. My liberal friends are, quite admirably, concerned with equality, helping the "least of these" and "social justice." I think at the most basic level as Christians we are all called to be personally liberal in this sense. These ideals are undeniable in Scripture. Unfortunately, the devil is in the details.


The problem becomes when we are told at the point of a gun that government should mandate social justice by ever increasing taxation, government regulation and government spending. See I believe God gives us free will to make these choices willingly. It is not the government's job to force these ideals on the citizen. There is no other choice in a free society but to allow the freedom to make these "liberal" choices with our time, money and talents. I have definitely been guilty of falling short of God's will in this manner, and I continually strive to be more focused on His goals for my resources than my own selfish plans. However, to mandate my obedience to God's plan by government fiat defeats the purpose of willing personal sacrifice.


So why did I settle on Libertarian in my facebook profile? Despite the labels that get thrown around about libertarian philosophy as being selfish and greedy, at the heart of the philosophy is the principle of liberty -- liberty to make good or bad choices with our time, money and talents. It mirrors the free will I believe God gives each of us to choose to follow Him. I guess I'm pretty fed up with both parties right now. Neither conservative “hot button” issues nor liberal causes excite me at this point as they are both used to manipulate the masses, and often to take away freedom and liberty. I don't believe government is necessarily the answer to what ails the world in general or America in particular. I think God calls us to be in community with believers and focused on bringing the broken and hurting and fallen people into relationship with Him. It is within this bond of community that I believe powerful work will be done to change the world. And that is neither liberal nor conservative.

2 comments:

Elissa said...

Amen! That's all.

TheEpicBeat said...

What a great post!

Not just because I am linked twice, but because I love that you put that out there.

I was actually enlightened when I read the Libertarian article on wiki because it pointed out a four point political bent...instead of just left and right. I liked that and I actually agree with alot of the Libertarian mindset.

Great post...I may link it because I am writing about nothing right now.

Miss talking with you man. Hope things are going okay.