So I was thinking I might get a few more people to read this thing if I could get some bass fishermen to start finding me through Google. Unfortunately I have never gone fishing, much less bass fishing so I figured I'd give a quick preview of the new addition to my bass family. It's kinda like bass fishing only more expensive and doesn't smell as bad. I am now the proud owner of a Custom Stew Made Mark Ashley Signature J-5. It has been 5 months in the planning and building stages and I will be debuting this beauty at the Grove this weekend. In case you are considering asking Dave Stewart to build a guitar I really highly recommend him as he pays so much attention to every detail and really knows his stuff. On top of building great guitars he takes all my x-rays for me in Urgent Care so I have to say nice things about him.


















(Sorry about the photo quality as a few people have noted I'm not a real photographer.)

So this brings my total bass count to six and I have performed with all but one of them in the last year so that is a pretty good ratio I would say. I'm very excited to see how it sounds with the band as this weekend is gospel weekend. Hopefully my fingers can keep up with how sexy this thing looks. I promise I will get back to posting 20,000 word essays very soon, but I'm too tired right now from screaming at Nastia Liukin and Shawn Johnson to beat that 10 year old Chinese gymnast. I'm sure both of the people reading this will understand.

6 comments:

Elissa said...

You know in terms of manageable transport your instruments are really improving... I mean they're still no pack it in your pocket harmonica but you know... at least you aren't dragging that old beast around so much!

Christina Ellis said...

Wow, it's beautiful! What kind of wood is that? Pretty sweet dude! Hope Scott can keep up with you this weekend!

Bill Dickson said...

Absolutely beautiful! Quilted maple, no? What are all those knobs for? I want a signature instrument!

Anonymous said...

What?
The blur is not on purpose?

03/03/1974 - 02/09/2010 said...

Those knobs are for dialing in the desired bass you want; largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, and spotted bass. The small toggle switch is so that you can swap between saltwater or freshwater.

That top is AA grade quilted maple with just a hint of flame (tiger stripe) pattern on the sides. The higher the A grade, the more pronounce the quilt figure is seen. You should see this up close in person. Just wait 'til those stage lights hit it.

Anonymous said...

Very funny Stew! I thought guitars had 6 or 12 strings. Did you forget something?

Seriously though, beautiful, beautiful work!

JW